Shout Out 2.0 Goes to Cogmedix
- On October 21, 2020
Shout Out 2.0 Goes to Cogmedix
By Lisa Derby Oden, MassMEP Project Development Coordinator
We are happy to continue to spotlight and thank the companies that were able to step up and pivot to meet the COVID-19 challenge. Cogmedix stepped up early on when COVID-19 hit the United States. Cogmedix, based in Westborough, MA is a medical device product development and manufacturing subsidiary of Coghlin Companies and a sister company to Columbia Tech.
Gabor Hajos is the Senior Vice President of Operations at Cogmedix. “We are a medical device manufacturer of higher-end, capital-intensive medical device equipment. As a contract manufacturer, we produce for other OEM’s. The equipment is primarily laser- and optical-based devices used in aesthetic surgeries, such as hair removal, tattoo removal, skin improvement, and cellulite reduction. We also produce equipment for surgical procedures that use fiber optics as well as blood centrifuges.”
“We were in the process of determining how we could help the world community with our expertise. We are also an FDA-approved manufacturing facility, and the PPE-type equipment that was in short supply needed to be made in a facility like ours. We had available capacity and bandwidth and so were engaging with companies that were looking for such a facility. Products that were under consideration were ventilators and nasal swabs. At the same time, Massachusetts was forming the M-ERT and looking for companies that could pivot. The M-ERT helped us to partner with a company looking for an FDA facility that could build ventilators, and they provided funding to help us to develop the infrastructure needed to be successful with production. We engaged with the customer in April, built the infrastructure to manufacture, brought our staff back, and hired 100 additional people. To date, we have produced almost 10,000 ventilators through this program.”
In closing, Gabor says, “I’d like to thank MassMEP for coordinating and supporting our activities as well as M-ERT and its affiliates for funding the infrastructure and training. I’d also like to thank our customers for delivering ventilators around the world – and being able to help them save lives around the world.”
Coghlin Companies has also shared this information on their website about their other responses to COVID-19.
While there has been a critical need for PPE such as masks and lifesaving equipment such as ventilators, there are many additional products that support the battle against COVID-19, as well as help maintain essential services that must remain uninterrupted.
Coghlin Companies manufactures many of the devices that contribute to these efforts including:
- Lab equipment used in the development of coronavirus test kits and by major pharmaceutical companies for analysis and quality control
- Life-saving medical devices that directly impact those affected by COVID-19
- Automated warehouse technology supporting the fulfillment and delivery of critical supplies
- Microelectronics and semiconductors for a wide variety of communication and IT products
- 3D printing devices needed by healthcare systems and essential infrastructure suppliers to keep their plants, equipment, and machines operational
- Devices relating to the detection of COVID-19 and the development of a vaccine, as well as meeting the continuing demand for the full range of products that supply the needs of healthcare globally
- Components and assemblies used in product lines that support major communication carriers
To learn more about Cogmedix, visit https://www.coghlincompanies.com/cogmedix/.